Title: Senior Prevention Coordinator Report to: Assistant Director of Prevention Programs
Work Location: This position is based in our New York City office. Start Date: February 2016
Organizational Overview: Founded in 2000, the New York City Alliance Against Sexual Assault’s mission is to prevent sexual violence and reduce the harm it causes through education, research and advocacy. The Alliance works closely with the city’s rape crisis programs and hospitals, District Attorney’s Offices, New York Police Department, court officials and city leaders to develop and implement best practices and policies, raise public awareness, and create sustainable change for survivors.
Position Description: The Alliance is one of the six NYS DOH-designated Regional Centers in the state serving NYC. As a NYS designated Regional Center, the Alliance piloted the Alliance for Sexual Assault Prevention Program (ASAP Program) – a multi-county primary prevention initiative that implements community change strategies with individual and relationship-level engagement to mobilize youth and influential adults in their lives. The focus is on marginalized and underserved communities in NYC which are at high risk of sexual assault. The Senior Prevention Coordinator will be responsible for the coordination of prevention activities under the NYC Regional Prevention Center – Alliance for Sexual Assault Prevention (ASAP) Program. In this role, the Senior Coordinator will manage the day-to-day program administration and facilitate communication between and among the subcontracting partners, consultants and the Alliance in order to ensure the ASAP Program goals and objectives are met. Additionally, s/he will be responsible for managing the campus training, and outreach components of the program as they related to the ASAP program.
- Coordinate the prevention activities under the Alliance for Sexual Assault Prevention (ASAP) program and ensure the ASAP program activities are carried out according to the approved timeline.
- Coordinate the Alliance’s city-wide campaign efforts including coordinating campaign and synchronized community mobilization activities, convening advisory board meetings, organizing Youth Advisory Board meetings, focus group and assisting with campaign evaluation.
- Work with an external evaluator to coordinate ASAP program evaluation activities including collecting and compiling evaluation data from all subcontracting partner organizations, conducting focus groups and when necessary, generating summary reports.
- Facilitate communication among ASAP program partners, and arrange and facilitate ongoing coalition/partnership meetings.
- Work with NYC campuses to coordinate prevention activities and outreach.
- Support Assistant Director of Prevention Programs with managing contractors/consultants and monitoring their deliverables on all prevention related grants.
- Coordinate primary prevention outreach events/ activities and represent the Alliance in various citywide coalitions and task forces.
- Assist with preparing quarterly grant reports.
- Supervise prevention interns/volunteers.
- Assist with other program activities as needed.
- Masters level education in public health, sociology, gender studies, or related field.
- Minimum three (3) years of professional level training and experience working in the fields of public health, social justice, survivor advocacy and/or community organizing.
- Prior experience developing and implementing intimate partner/ sexual violence prevention programs
- Demonstrable skills in program design, implementation and project management.
- Experience and knowledge in evaluation tools and data collection methods desired.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Prior experience presenting and/or training on best practices in sexual violence prevention, social justice or public health at conferences and workshops.
- Ability to work well independently as well as in a team in a flexible, evolving environment.
- Sensitivity to the impact of sexual violence in diverse and marginalized communities and the ability to articulate these concerns with regard to sexual violence in a sensitive and respectful manner.
- Proven ability to work in a multi-racial environment, and commitment to social justice practice.
- Prior experience in coalition building and/or community mobilization as well as specific experience in primary prevention of sexual violence or other related field(s) is a plus
- Experience in managing or participating in public health related media campaigns
- Prior experience working with disenfranchised urban youth and campus-based populations
The Alliance is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, disability or gender identity. Applicants from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
How to apply To apply for this position, please email your cover letter and resume as a single word or pdf document to:firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: Sr. Prevention Coordinator by January 15, 2016.
This is a one year position with continued employment contingent upon available funding, scope of project, and satisfactory performance.
Incomplete applications will not be considered. NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE